Using Anthem Insurance for Detox & Rehab
Anthem Insurance is a private insurance company that seeks to make healthcare simple and is committed to improving communities and lives. Those working with Anthem companies serve as members as the Blue Cross licensee for California and as the Blue Cross and Blue Shield licensees for several states, including Connecticut, Nevada, and New York.*
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) covers substance abuse benefits, as well as co-occurring mental health disorders. Using Anthem insurance for detox and rehab can be a difficult process. This guide’s purpose is to help inform readers about the process of using their Anthem insurance for detox.
Types of Insurance Plans Anthem Offers
From employer group plans, to Medicare and Medicaid, to individual and family plans, Anthem provides coverage for different circumstances and plans to fit individuals.
Preferred Provider Organizations (PPOs), Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs), and assorted hybrid specialty products have been created by Anthem, Inc. affiliated health plans that provide cost-effective services.
- With Anthem Blue Cross HMO Plans, more of the cost of your healthcare is covered more than other plans. You choose either an Independent Practice Association or a Participating Medical Group. You also choose a physician within the group to be your primary care physician.
- With Anthem Blue PPO Plans, medical providers are contracted with the PPO, which includes physicians and hospitals that are within the same network. Members will save money by using those providers within network.
Individual members can select from comprehensive plans down to basic ones. Employer groups have the same option. Additionally, there is a variety of specialty products/services including flexible spending accounts and COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act). COBRA gives former employees and their families who lose health insurance the right to continue with group health benefits provided by their group health plan for a certain timeframe and under specific circumstances. For example, situations like the loss of a job or transition between one, death in the family, or even divorce.
Each health plan offers different options depending on your age, individual or family situation, financial circumstances, employment status, and the state that you live in. View your options to see what would work best for you, while taking the following variables into consideration:
- Individual and family plans. This covers an individual and/or eligible household/family members.
- This is the federal health insurance program for those under 65 with certain disabilities, over 65, and those with end stage renal disease.
- This is a health coverage option that is administered by each state, but must adhere to the federal requirements. It covers eligible pregnant women, people with disabilities, low-income children and adults, and elderly adults.
How to Check your Anthem Insurance Benefits
How do I check my Anthem coverage? Checking your benefits is simple. To verify coverage with Anthem insurance you can:
- Go to the login page.
- Register or login.
- Once you log on, you can check claims, review your benefits, find care, or start a live chat.
Do Anthem Insurance Plans Cover Detox & Rehab?
Figuring out how to pay for treatment is just as an important of a decision as choosing which treatment program and facility that best suits you.
Anthem BCBS offers comprehensive health care coverage, which includes drug and alcohol addiction treatment. Review options you have available within your state and for your specific situation, as coverage for addiction varies by each plan. This gives you options so that financial concerns are not a roadblock to receiving the help that you need.
Several treatment offerings are covered, including Anthem therapy coverage. Mental health and substance abuse benefits cover:
- Drug and alcohol addictions.
- Eating disorders.
Trusted care includes:
- Utilization management by licensed care managers.
- Access to specialty network of behavioral health providers (therapists and physicians).
- Access to contracted facilities (free-standing specialty hospitals and acute care).
- NCQA criteria-credentialed network, which includes partial, intensive outpatient, and residential treatment.
- Reviewed for facility-based substance abuse treatment and mental health.
Anthem BCBS covers a variety of healthcare plans. Speak with an Anthem BCBS representative to give you the direction you need based on your unique circumstances.
When an individual is dependent on drugs or alcohol, they will more than likely need to detox in order to safely rid their body of the substances. They do this by discontinuing use of the substance and by working with medical support staff. Detoxification may take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, contingent on what substances the user has in their body, the level of substance dependency, and the support available to the user.1 American Addiction Centers provides detox in a safe environment with licensed physicians and support staff.
. Diaper, A. M., Law, F. D., & Melichar, J. K. (2014). Pharmacological strategies for detoxification. British journal of clinical pharmacology, 77(2), 302–314.