Tricare Detox & Rehab Benefits Guide for Veterans
Tricare is a US insurance provider servicing veterans that offers detox & rehab coverage. Learn how to use your Tricare benefits for detox & rehab here.
Takeaways from this article:
Types of Tricare insurance plans available for veterans.
How to check your Tricare rehab benefits.
How to find rehabs that accept Tricare insurance plans.
Tricare an insurance program managed by the federal government, provides private health insurance for Veterans1 and serves 9.6 million people.2
Unlike other private health insurance providers, Tricare is available only to people who are active-duty service members, Veterans, and their families.1 You are also eligible if you or a family member has retired from service or were certified as disabled during the course of military service.1, 3 This page will help you understand more about Tricare insurance and how members can use it to access detox and rehab services. Specific topics include:
- The different types of Tricare plans.
- Does health insurance cover detox?
- What does Tricare cover for substance use treatment?
- How to check your Tricare benefits.
- Information about detox and treatment for Veterans at American Addiction Centers.
Does Tricare Cover Detox?
If you are a Veteran struggling with substance use, Tricare benefits cover a wide range of treatment options.8 (paragraph 1) You may be wondering, “Is detox covered by insurance with Tricare?” The answer is yes. Options for treatment may include:8
- Tricare detox coverage includes services provided in a variety of settings and can be accomplished on an inpatient or outpatient basis.9 This ensures your safety during the withdrawal process because you will be monitored by medical staff and receive medication to ease any symptoms you may experience.9
- Tricare rehab insurance coverage includes inpatient detox and rehab care and services.10 You’ll stay in the facility around-the-clock so that staff can monitor you, provide medication to manage symptoms of withdrawal, and offer counseling to get you started toward recovery.
- Partial hospitalization. Tricare drug rehab coverage also includes partial hospitalization programs (PHPs). Also known as day programs, PHPs involve attending full-day sessions of treatment where detox and rehab services are provided.11 No prior authorization is required for this type of care.11
- Tricare drug rehab insurance coverage includes standard and intensive outpatient treatment.12 These programs let you live at home while receiving care. Treatment plans vary in intensity and may include detox services for people with mild withdrawal symptoms.12
- Mediation-assisted treatment (MAT). Medications are often used in conjunction with therapy to ease the symptoms of withdrawal and make recovery easier by managing cravings.13 Tricare doesn’t require prior authorization for MAT as long as you receive treatment in certain settings.13
- You’ll never have to ask, “Does Tricare cover therapy?” Individual, group, and family sessions are approved and family members can meet with a counselor as well.14 If you are receiving care at an inpatient, outpatient, or PHP, you may also be covered for creative arts therapies such as music, art, or dance therapy.14
Family members and dependents covered under your Tricare plan receive the same benefits and can attend the same programs available to you. However, before starting treatment, it is best to contact your Tricare provider and double-check your benefits and insurance coverage for rehab and detox programs.
How to Check your Tricare Benefits
To check your plan benefits and coverage, you can contact Tricare in three different ways. You can find the phone number to call for your plan by visiting this site and answering a few questions. If you’d prefer to send an online message, you can do so here. You can also create an account on the online portal to access your benefits information here.
Don’t forget to also check with the treatment facility to verify that they’ll accept your Tricare insurance. American Addiction Centers (AAC) offers an online tool to easily verify your insurance. You can also reach out via our confidential hotline, 1-888-935-1318. Admissions navigators are available 24/7 to discuss your Tricare insurance plan and address any questions or concerns you may have about the recovery process.
Types of Tricare plans
Tricare makes a variety of plans available to veterans and their families.3 These include:3
- Tricare Prime, a managed care program available in the U.S. offering treatment through a network of providers. Services are offered through a primary care provider who can give referrals to specialists when needed.4 This plan involves low out-of-pocket costs and no annual deductible.4
- Tricare Select, a preferred provider network offering the freedom to choose your treatment providers. You get your choice of any provider authorized by Tricare, whether they are in-network or not. A referral is not needed, although you may need to obtain a prior authorization.4
- US Family Health Plan, which is offered through non-profit community healthcare organizations in various areas within the United States. Care is provided through your primary care physician. There is no yearly deductible and out-of-pocket costs are lower, although you must see only designated community providers.4
- Tricare For Life, a secondary insurance plan for Veterans with Medicare Part A (hospital coverage) and B (medical coverage). This program allows you to obtain care from any authorized provider with very low costs other than your Medicare premium.4
The costs associated with these plans depend on which plan you choose, your retired status, and when you enlisted in the service.5 You can find out more about the different plan costs, deductibles, and copayments here. If you travel frequently, it’s important to keep in mind when choosing a plan that not all Tricare plans offer out-of-state coverage.
Veterans who are eligible for Medicare Part A coverage must also sign up for and keep Part B coverage in order to maintain Tricare benefits. If you drop Part B coverage, you’ll lose coverage through Tricare.6
All rehab centers and facilities operated through Veterans Affairs (VA) are in-network with Tricare.7
Using Tricare at American Addiction Centers
American Addiction Centers is a preeminent provider of substance use treatment, offering effective, evidence-based care at facilities across the country.15We are in-network for Tricare and many other insurance providers.15
Not all people are the same. That’s why our treatment plans are customized to suit each client’s unique circumstances. As such, our participation in the Salute to Recovery program—a specialized drug rehab program for Veterans—ensures that your individual needs will be addressed.15,16 Salute to Recovery goes beyond substance abuse treatment—it can help you learn how to manage any mental health issues and stressors, readjust to civilian life, improve communication skills within the family, deal with trauma, manage grief and loss, and cope with chronic pain.16
For more information about detox and rehab options at AAC, you can reach our free and confidential helpline anytime at 1-888-935-1318.
- (2018). About us.
- (2020). Facts and figures.
- (2020). Retired service members and families.
- (2020). Compare plans.
- (2020). Health plan costs.
- (2016). Beneficiaries eligible for TRICARE and Medicare.
- S. Department of Veterans Affairs. (2019). VA & TRICARE information.
- (2018). Substance use disorder treatment.
- (2020). Detoxification.
- (2020). Emergency inpatient hospital services.
- (2020). Partial hospitalization (psychiatric and substance use disorder).
- (2020). Intensive outpatient program.
- (2020). Medication assisted treatment.
- (2020). Mental health therapeutic services.
- American Addiction Centers. (2020). American Addiction Centers.
- American Addiction Centers. (2020). Salute to recovery program.